Community Blood Services, a not-for-profit organization that supplies blood and blood products to hospitals in the NJ/NY region, has been devoted to serving the community’s transfusion medicine needs for more than 60 years, since it was founded in 1953. Donations of blood and blood products, umbilical cord blood, stem cells and bone marrow join individuals, organizations, businesses and communities together in partnership with us to help save lives.
In 2015, Community Blood Services became part of Blood Systems Inc. (BSI), one of the nation’s oldest and largest transfusion medical organizations headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona. Founded in 1943, Blood Systems blood centers division serves some 700 hospitals from coast to coast. Blood Systems, a founding member of America’s Blood Centers and the AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks), also operates biological products distribution services, a quality consulting group and a world-renowned transfusion medicine research institute. It is also a partner in the operation of high-volume donor testing laboratories.
Quality – We all are committed to excellence in the results we achieve and in how we achieve them.
Integrity – We all strive for the highest ethical standards.
Respect – We all promote a diverse culture and are committed to treating every internal and external relationship with mutual respect and dignity.
Teamwork – We all value our collaborative efforts.
Innovation – We all encourage new ideas and strive for continuous improvement.
Our Commitment to Quality
Dedicated to providing the highest quality products for transfusion, Community Blood Services engages in sound and ethical business practices by maintaining all required Regulatory licenses and certificates of accreditation:
- FDA Blood Establishment Registrations and Product Listings and Establishment Registrations and Listings for Human Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/Ps)
- New Jersey State Department of Health Clinical Laboratory and Blood Bank licenses
- New York State Department of Health Clinical Laboratory Permits and Tissue Bank Licenses Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services – Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) – Certificates of Accreditation
- NJDEP Radioactive Materials License
- Accreditation by AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks)
Quality & Safety
Achieving blood safety is a process that requires a solid scientific foundation to help realize the full potential of preventing, treating and curing blood-borne diseases. Understanding fundamental characteristics of blood, as well as the development of new technologies and methodologies, enables us to continually improve the science and practice of transfusion medicine.
Our blood center also follows applicable Department of Transportation and Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations and guidelines.